Thursday, May 19, 2011

Celebrate good times come on...

Look at those two crazy kids.  Who'd a thunk they'd still be married almost 40 years later!  They had two brilliant girls, and moved to the suburbs.  It's incredible to think that at some point in time, that dashing fellow in the picture nervously asked for this gorgeous little spark plug's hand in marriage.  But, like most honorable young lads during this time, he first asked her father for permission.  And at that moment, the cat was out of the bag.  The catalyst for this entire lifetime involving births, and celebrations and traditions (including white trash New Years Eve...lots of mac and cheese and hot dogs involved in that one) started from that guy telling someone else, what his plan was. 
As a caterer and a private chef, I am honored to be in on the secret.  Not too long ago, a friend of mine pulled me asside at a party and asked if I was free on a certain date to do some private chef work.  I said absolutley!  The next day, he came into the restaurant and said "The real reason I want you to do a private dinner for us is that I'm going to ask her to marry me.  You know, because we have a really good time together and I can spend the rest of my life with her so shes the one.  Will you help me think of a clever way to ask her?".  And so we came up with the plan of serving 4 courses, each with a little gift.  The deal was, she wasn't allowed to open the gifts with each course...she had to wait until the end.  In each box had a word "will" "you" "marry" "me".  This was extra difficult for the bride to be because she has a VERY curious nature.  But she made it through dinner and was very shocked at the contents.  I stayed in the kitchen until I heard a booming voice come from the patio over looking the ocean that said "SHE SAID YES!!!".  And so they begin their journey.  That started in part from a tap on the shoulder while at a party.  And the question of "are you free on the 22nd?".   It's usually just part of my job.  Just something that I do.  But one day, while catering a wedding, I was cleaning up the last bit of food from the buffet line.  Most of the guests had left and the DJ was playing the song "save the last dance for me" by Michael Buble.  No one was watching as the bride and groom shared the last dance at their wedding.  It was like no one else was on the planet as far as the newly married couple was concerned.  They looked into each other's eyes, he spun her around like he was Prince Charming and she Cindarella.  And they looked as though this was the happiest day of their lives.  No one was watching, except me.  It was at that moment that I realized that I get to be a part of the most life changing events for people.  A flood of instances of private moments that I have shared with clients, family and friends where I get to be in on the secret.  I am lucky enough to send them off into a new chapter.  It may sound corny, but watching that bride and groom share that dance made me very proud of the work that I do.  So keep celebrating thos good times people!  Keep giving birth, getting engaged, graduating, having birthdays, having anniversaries, getting promotions, and just keep on truckin'.  Because we are all just waiting for the next good time to come along so we can dance around with a lampshade on our heads!  Celebrate good times!  Come ON!!

No comments:

Post a Comment