Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Im a smoker...

I'm a smoker, I love to smoke.  I dont care that my clothes smell, I dont care that my hair smells, and I NEVER care how my breath smells while I'm smoking.  When I light up, I feel good.  It relaxes me.  I'm like, damn I look cool holding this match.  If it offends people I'm like, pfft whatever, more smokey goodness for me and my fellow hickory lovin' pork junky pals.  Thats right I like to smoke meat, what did you think I was talking about?  I often wolf whistle to my meat while I'm seasoning it.  Dude I'll even season it, wolf whistle...and throw my meat into the fridge, open up the door in about two hours and then WOLF WHISTLE again!!  If I could slap its ass I would.  I WOULD!  My smoker of choice right now is a simple brinkman charcoal smoker.  Fill the bottom with A LOT of coals, light 'er up and fill the upper pan with water.  Let the fire go out and throw some wood chips that have been soaked in water.  The trick is to get the smoker rippin hot so that it maintains heat for the long run.  Every so often you have to stir the coals around to make sure they are staying hot.  You also want to find something to do in the meantime so that you refrain from peaking.  But don't wander to far...after all, something is nearly on fire in your backyard with your dinner in it.  Here is a list of activities that you may find entertaining while your smoker is making love to your variety of meats. 
5.  knit a tiny saddle for your cat to wear while you take pictures of how cute it looks
4.  melt some cheese and then drink it
3.  fill a kiddie pool with jello and wrestle yourself
2.  learn to count to ten in chinese (afterall you will probably have to someday anyway since they are really in charge)
1.  record yourself trying to make all of the sounds to the Bobby McFerrin song "Dont Worry, Be Happy"

So in this picture are some country pork ribs, that I dry rubbed over night.  I smoked them with hickory chips over charcoal for 5 hours.  It was delish.  We enjoyed it dining al fresco in the backyard under the mango tree :) Here is a recipe for a simple brine:
2 quarts water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup salt
2 bay leaves
1 yellow onion, diced
2 tablespoons black pepper
combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.  stir and  bring to room temperature.  refridgerate and add your desired raw meat product.  do not add meat to unchilled liquid!  chill in fridge over night.

3 comments:

  1. It amazes me how dedicated to smoking you are!!!!!! WHOOOOEEEE!!!! What Delicious results it produces!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me want to smoke weed and then eat some meat. There isn't much smoking or grilling going on in peoples back yards here in Milan. Mostly because everyone's back yard is a 3x6' balcony and the only grills I've seen for sale are only worthy of tail-gate parties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its definitely grillin time around here Jeffo...I'm tellin you, you have to get a little camping grill! It will remind you of your home planet once you fire up a juicy steak!! Maybe I can send you a jar of BBQ!!!

    ReplyDelete