Tuesday, April 5, 2011

One slice of pizza...

Yes that is ONE slice of pizza.  Look at that beast, my hand is in the picture to accentuate its sheer magnitude.  And it tasted good too.  Hawaiian, my favorite.  Yet again, salty and sweet.  I love big contrasts.  Salty and sweet, spicy and sweet, sweet and sour...hmmm maybe its the sweetness I love...wait we're getting off topic.  One Saturday night, a friend of mine took me out for a slice in Coral Gables.  We pulled up at about 11:30pm and the place was bumpin!  There was hardly a place to park.  We went inside of Cosola's Pizza and Sub Shop 305-858-0090.  The interior was reminiscent of an outlet at the Swap Shop.  Lots of neon, unflattering florescent lights (at least for me anyway, good thing vampires are cool right now.  I'm so chalky white I look like I could use a blood transfusion).  Ok so once me made it through mobbed line of Coral Gable-ites we got to the register.  Ordered, were handed a cup and a ticket with the number that would be called shortly.  10 minutes later this gargantuan slice of pizza was handed to me.  BATTER UP!  I'm goin in.  First a bite as a whole, crust, sauce, toppings all at once.  Delish!  The ham was even a little caramelized on the edges.  Not bad for a middle of the night pizza run!  The only bad thing is the imitation cheese, way too creamy.   Now just the crust alone:  crispy on the outside, soft in the middle, not soggy.  Hmmm I think we may have something here.  I's sold.  If I'm ever back in the Gables, this is my spot. 

When I was in culinary school, everyone raved about Steves Pizza 12101 Biscayne Blvd in North Miami 305-891-0202.  Yet another neighborhood favorite.  Locals go nuts for a slice of Steve's pie.  We ordered mushroom and onion.  Steve's is a small pizza joint that reminds me of a little grass rootsy style wood interiored pizza place you'd run into in Gainesville.  Yeah I'm referring to  Leonardo, minus the vegan brownies.  Anyway, all of the booths and even an old school arcade game are covered in graffiti, so bring a sharpie to leave your mark.  The inside is kind of dusty and is in serious need of the good lovin of a shop vac but the pizza was outstanding.  Unlike Casola's, Steve's uses real cheese.  The mushrooms were fresh, not out of a can and perfectly cooked.  The cheese was bubbly and slightly browning in just the right spots.  And the crust, crispy and made just right, MAMA MIA!!

We Americans are in love with our pizza.  I love making it at home if I'm not hankering for a midnight munchie with a beer buzz.  Its nice to make with the family.  I recommend picking up a ball of uncooked pizza dough from the publix bakery.  If they don't have it out front, just ask for it.  If its frozen, leave it on your counter until its squishy.  then loosen the twist tie and tie it at the very top of the bag.  To proof it further...you'll love this...put it in your car for 10 minutes or so and it will proof (swell up) right there in your car!  Once its expanded to fill the entire bag, turn the dough out onto a flowered surface.  Flower your rolling pin and roll it out till it resembles something you can put toppings and sauce on.  Yes, I know it probably looks like an oblong shaped amoeba but who cares.  This aint Top Chef, this is delicious dinner.  Ok so here's a yummy summertime trick.  Oil the top of the dough with olive oil and throw a little cornmeal on it.  Fire up your grill and once its hot, flip the dough over so that the oiled side is on the grill grates.  No it wont fall through!  Spread some tomato paste on top and desired cheese and toppings.  You'll know when its done, trust me.  That's one of my favorite summertime treats.  And its fun for the kids!!!  Bon Appetit, Chef Nikki

3 comments: